“Those people who develop the ability to continuously acquire new and better forms of knowledge that they can apply to their work and to their lives will be the movers and shakers in our society for the indefinite future.” — Brian Tracy.
Microlearning is a modern approach to learning that breaks down complex information into short, easy-to-digest lessons, perfect for busy employees seeking quick knowledge acquisition without disrupting their workflow. With its bite-sized format and accessibility on various devices, especially mobile phones, microlearning offers a convenient and engaging way to enhance employee skills and performance. This blog explores what microlearning is, how it benefits learners and organizations, and why employers should consider implementing it in their workplace.
What is Microlearning in Organizations?
Microlearning is a method of training and delivering content to employees in bite-sized (3-5 minutes) chunks with a focus and specific learning outcome. The trainee is in control of what and when they are learning, and can complete their training sessions at a time and place that suits their schedule.
Microlearning: Proven Approach to Learning
Microlearning has been proven effective in enhancing retention and learner engagement. It offers a convenient way to quickly acquire new knowledge or skills, making it a valuable tool for individual learning and organizational training.
The Association for Talent Development (ATD) found that microlearning can increase learning retention rates by up to 20%. In addition, survey studies on the impact of microlearning in organizations found that:
- 80% of employees prefer microlearning over traditional learning methods.
- 70% of companies have already adopted microlearning or plan to do so shortly.
- 53% of companies report a positive impact on employee productivity through microlearning.
Can Microlearning be Used to Train Employees?
Microlearning is an effective training method for employees in organizations due to its short, focused, and engaging nature. It allows learners to acquire knowledge in small, easily digestible bursts, maximizing information retention. The bite-sized format makes it convenient for busy employees to access training during their daily tasks without disrupting workflow.
In addition, microlearning’s flexibility enables personalized learning paths, catering to individual needs and learning preferences. Microlearning’s efficiency and accessibility make it a powerful tool for enhancing employee skills and performance in a fast-paced business environment.
Microlearning as an Organizational Culture
An organizational culture of microlearning can bring numerous benefits to a company:
- It promotes a continuous learning environment, fostering a growth mindset among employees.
- Microlearning enables quick and efficient knowledge transfer, ensuring that employees stay up-to-date with the latest information and skills relevant to their roles.
- The flexibility of microlearning allows employees to access training on-demand, accommodating their busy schedules and enhancing productivity.
- A culture of microlearning fosters a sense of empowerment and ownership among employees, as they have access to personalized learning paths tailored to their individual needs and aspirations.
Examples of Organizational Microlearning Techniques
Short Instructional Videos
Organizations can create and deliver microlearning content through short videos covering specific topics or skills. Employees can easily access these videos on their mobile devices, allowing them to learn on the go and at their convenience.
Mini Quizzes and Assessments
Microlearning can involve mini quizzes or assessments focusing on a single learning outcome. These short quizzes can reinforce knowledge, assess understanding, and provide immediate feedback to employees, helping them retain information effectively.
Mobile Learning Cards
Organizations can use mobile learning platforms to design learning cards containing bite-sized information or key takeaways on various subjects. These learning cards can be delivered to employees through mobile apps, making it easy for them to access and review essential knowledge anytime they need it.
Tips for Employers to Take Advantage of Microlearning:
- Define clear learning objectives aligned with organizational goals.
- Create engaging and interactive micro-learning content.
- Offer personalized learning paths for employees.
- Encourage regular participation and foster a culture of continuous learning.
- Measure effectiveness through data analysis and feedback.
Tips for Employees to Take Advantage of Microlearning:
- Set specific learning goals for skill improvement.
- Utilize mobile devices to access microlearning materials conveniently.
- Embrace bite-sized learning for better understanding.
- Integrate microlearning into daily routines for continuous improvement.
- Share knowledge and engage in peer-to-peer learning with colleagues.
“Being a student is easy. Learning requires actual work.”—William Crawford.
Microlearning is an attractive option for employers and employees, offering high productivity rewards with minimal time investment. With its bite-sized format, accessibility on various devices, and convenience, microlearning is the perfect tool to facilitate continuous learning and upskilling in any organization. Employees can acquire the correct knowledge quickly and apply it immediately, setting them up for long-term success while successfully navigating their current tasks. Employers should strongly consider investing in microlearning tools to maximize success in the workplace.
Thank you for reading our article! TimeWellScheduled is a secure online time and attendance software 100% tailored to meet your employee scheduling needs! In addition, our cloud-based solution facilitates attendance tracking and payroll processing and enhances workforce management capabilities. Plus, our service is free for up to 10 employees.